Tuesday, August 2, 2016

During my coaching certification program, my instructor asked us to ponder this question. It seems like a pretty simple exercise – to just think about things that make me happy and what activities energize and recharge me. It was an easy list to compile, that’s for sure. It was lovely to think about being curled up on the couch by a fire absorbed in a great book, going for long walks on the beach, or having a glass of wine at sunset surrounded by friends and family.
When I started to think about how often these things actually happen, I came crashing back to reality. While my husband and I are successfully made it through the “weeds” of parenting (how I lovingly refer to the baby and toddler years), we find ourselves in a wonderfully challenging new spot – having a tween and teen who are fully consumed with challenging schoolwork, multiple sports, Scouts, friends, and more. We find ourselves often “dividing and conquering” the carpooling, homework helping, and volunteering while trying to maintain our jobs, health, and household. And I find myself holding my Iphone far more than any book these days.
So needless to say, there is not a lot of “cup filling” going on at the moment. I feel like I spend my days racing between jobs and various kid commitments. And while I truly love all the different aspects of my life, my time to recharge has gotten squeezed to almost nothing.
As with any goal, it can be daunting to think about starting, as the end result can seem so far away. However, there are some things I can do now to work towards this goal in a different way. For example, I can take more walks along our beautiful Potomac, email that group of friends I have been missing to meet up for a glass of wine, or get on Goodreads to find my next great book.
So, set three small achievable goals you can work on in the next week to fill your cup. Write them down (with a deadline) and makes notes on your progress. Maybe it is just blocking the time on your calendar for yourself (and saying “no” when you are asked to do something in that time). Or maybe schedule a sitter for a lunch date with your spouse. Start with baby steps, as small changes are what eventually lead to great ones.
Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment